A triple threat of coconut (oil, milk, and vinegar) perfumes this dish with its nutty sweetness. Serve this as a side for roast chicken, beef, or fish. Or, serve with rice for a vegan main dish. If you want a little less heat, opt for a jalapeño, or half of a mild poblano pepper.
Duration: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 3 – 4 tablespoons solid coconut oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled, and diced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced into ½-inch pieces, or 1 pound peeled and cubed squash
- 3 large carrots, diced into ½-inch pieces
- 2 red onions, diced into ½-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger, or 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 1 serrano pepper, minced (optional)
- 3 cups rough chopped kale or spinach
- Garnish: cilantro leaves
1. Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Melt coconut oil and sauté sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, and onions for 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic during the last 1 minute of cooking, so it doesn’t burn.
2. Place all vegetables back to the pot and stir in ginger, curry powder, tomato paste, coconut milk, vinegar, serrano (if using), and kale or spinach. Reduce heat to a simmer. Stirring occasionally, cook for 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
3. Garnish with cilantro before serving.
Jamie Geller is the only best-selling cookbook author who wants to get you out of the kitchen – not because she doesn’t love food – but because she has tons to do.
As “The Bride Who Knew Nothing”, Jamie found her niche specializing in fast, fresh, family recipes. Now the “Queen of Kosher” (CBS) and the “Jewish Rachael Ray” (The New York Times), she’s the creative force behind JamieGeller.com
Jamie and her hubby live in Israel with their six super kids who give her plenty of reasons to get out of the kitchen – quickly. Check out her new book, Brisket 101and her new family meal plan “Fresh Families” at FreshFamilies.us
Originally published NOV 17, 2016