This stovetop braised chicken is so juicy and moist and I just love the licorice-like fennel (sometimes called anise) and vibrant red cabbage.
Duration: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (3-pound) chicken, cut in eighths
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) bag shredded red cabbage, rinsed and dried
- ½ head fennel, shredded
- 2 cups Manischewitz All Natural Chicken Broth, more if necessary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Applesauce (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté them for 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the pan and brown for about 8 minutes on each side. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add cabbage, fennel, broth, and thyme to the pan, mixing well. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to the pan, reduce the heat to a high simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Transfer to a serving platter. Serve with Noodles with Poppy Seeds and applesauce, if desired.
By Jamie Geller
Jamie Geller is the only best-selling cookbook author who wants to get you out of the kitchen – not because she doesn’t love food – but because she has tons to do.
As “The Bride Who Knew Nothing”, Jamie found her niche specializing in fast, fresh, family recipes. Now the “Queen of Kosher” (CBS) and the “Jewish Rachael Ray” (The New York Times), she’s the creative force behind JamieGeller.com
Jamie and her hubby live in Israel with their six super kids who give her plenty of reasons to get out of the kitchen – quickly. Check out her new book, Brisket 101and her new family meal plan “Fresh Families” at FreshFamilies.us
Originally Published October 5, 2016