Prepare this Homemade Cornbread while your Vegetarian Chilli is simmering.
Duration: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Butter or margarine for greasing pan
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (11-ounce) can corn, drained
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease a 9-inch square pan.
2. In large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a small bowl, beat the egg and but-termilk.
4. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture until smooth. Mix corn and butter into the batter.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut into squares before removing from pan.
Recipe originally published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Shavuot 2015 SUBSCRIBE NOW