This fragrant, quick and easy dish will remind you of your favorite shawarma shop, but homemade. The shawarma can be served with rice, couscous, or stuffed into a pita with sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions. Top with your favorite hot sauce and tahini and you have a quick weeknight meal.
Duration: 25 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Prep Time 15 minutes
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, grated on a microplane
- Pinch ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated turmeric or ½ teaspoon ground
- ⅛ teaspoon fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips (we also like boneless, skinless chicken thighs or boneless, skinless turkey thighs and legs)
1. Whisk lemon zest, juice, cumin, paprika, coriander, cinnamon, garlic, cardamom, turmeric, fenugreek, salt, pepper, and evoo in a large bowl. Add chicken breasts and stir to coat. Allow chicken to marinate for at least 1 hour.
2. Heat a large sauté pan, lightly coated with evoo, over medium heat. Sauté chicken breasts until browned and cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Serve with pita, tahini, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, caramelized onions, and favorite hot sauce.
By Jamie Geller
Jamie Geller is the only best-selling cookbook author who wants to get you out of the kitchen – not because she doesn’t love food – but because she has tons to do.
As “The Bride Who Knew Nothing”, Jamie found her niche specializing in fast, fresh, family recipes. Now the “Queen of Kosher” (CBS) and the “Jewish Rachael Ray” (The New York Times), she’s the creative force behind JamieGeller.com
Jamie and her hubby live in Israel with their six super kids who give her plenty of reasons to get out of the kitchen – quickly. Check out her new book, Brisket 101and her new family meal plan “Fresh Families” at FreshFamilies.us
Originally published: January 5, 2017, on https://www.joyofkosher.com/recipes/chicken-shawarma/