This quick cooking Asian-inspired side goes from pan to plate in less than 30 minutes. Serve alongside Ginger and Garlic Beef Noodles and Chinese Long Beans. Or, add leftover chicken, beef, or tofu to make this a weeknight main dish.
To speed up your prep, slice all your veggies the night before and store covered in separate containers in the refrigerator.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 13 minutes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 pound fresh or dry lo mein noodles
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger, ¾ teaspoon ground ginger, or 9 cubes frozen ginger, thawed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces dried shiitake mushrooms
- 6 carrots (2½ cups), grated
- 1 pound of fresh broccoli florets or frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- ⅓ cup regular or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- Garnish: white and black sesame seeds
1. Heat sesame oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high. Place uncooked noodles in pan and toast for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
2. Add ginger, garlic, scallions, shiitakes, carrots, broccoli, soy, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and broth or water to the pan with noodles. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes for fresh noodles or 8 to 10 minutes for dry noodles, or until liquid is mostly absorbed and pasta is cooked through.
By Jamie Geller
Jamie Geller is the only best-selling cookbook author who wants to get you out of the kitchen – not because she doesn’t love food – but because she has tons to do.
As “The Bride Who Knew Nothing”, Jamie found her niche specializing in fast, fresh, family recipes. Now the “Queen of Kosher” (CBS) and the “Jewish Rachael Ray” (The New York Times), she’s the creative force behind JamieGeller.com
Jamie and her hubby live in Israel with their six super kids who give her plenty of reasons to get out of the kitchen – quickly. Check out her new book, Brisket 101and her new family meal plan “Fresh Families” at FreshFamilies.us