I was inspired to make a Cappuccino flavored cake, but when I only had Turkish coffee I realized that this flavor profile with cardamom and cinnamon was even better. If you want it to look more like a cappuccino you could make the glaze with white chocolate, but I like the deep richness of the dark chocolate glaze. I tried making it with whole wheat flour and it worked well, but was not as light and fluffy, so the choice is yours.
- Prep Time : 20 min
- Cook Time : 25-33 min
- Ready Time : 45 min
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons Turkish coffee
- 2 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup non dairy sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water or soy milk
- Optional: extra cinnamon, coffee and cocoa powder to sprinkle on top
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.
2. In a bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, sugar and salt. In a pan, whisk oil, margarine, 2 Tbsp. cocoa, 3 Tbsp. Turkish coffee, 2 Tbsp. cinnamon and 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring. In a bowl, whisk eggs, non dairy sour cream and vanilla.
3. Stir cocoa mixture into flour mixture. Fold in egg mixture. Pour into Bundt pan, smoothing top. Bake until a skewer inserted in cake’s center comes out clean, 25 to 33 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pan. Let cool completely.
4. Make glaze: Whisk 1/4 tsp. each cocoa, turkish coffee and cinnamon. In a microwave melt chocolate with margarine (start with 30 seconds and then stir and do 10 seconds stirring until done). Remove from microwave; let cool. In a bowl, whisk confectioners’ sugar and non dairy milk. Stir in chocolate mixture. Drizzle glaze over cake. Sift cocoa mixture over top; let stand until glaze is set.
JoyofKosher.com with Jamie Geller is the No. 1 kosher food and recipe website, featuring more than 7,000 recipes from Geller, kosher chefs, food bloggers and community members. The award-winning companion print magazine, published bimonthly, is revolutionizing the way people think about kosher.
Want stories like this delivered right to your inbox? Sign up now for our Joy of Kosher weekly newsletter.